A few months after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, a group of ex-
In 1872, First Baptist Church was erected on property near Bayou Amulet and the American Cemetery on Second Street. The first pastor of this historical church was Rev. A. Rayford Blount. This edifice served a dual purpose: it served as a place to worship God, and also as a school where Professors Apples and Popo taught classes because public education was denied to Blacks at this time.
In 1905, the church was totally destroyed by fire. The only salvaged article was a bell that was originally used to summon slaves. A division in membership occurred. Several of the original members built a Brush Arbor for which to worship until another church building was erected in 1907. The church relocated to its present North Street location on property donated by Pastor Blount who died March 19, 1905.
The succeeding pastors were: Rev. C. S. Satterwhite who served 1905-
June, 2011, we welcomed with open arms, our new pastor, Rev. Mitchell C. Herndon, Sr. and his family. We are a church on the move for Christ. We are Jesus fed and Spirit led. Come join our family and help us live true to our church motto: “The church with a mission, where a sinner finds God and a stranger finds a friend”.
First Baptist Church (North Street)
201 North Street
Natchitoches, LA 71457